Thursday, June 30, 2011

Droid X2 Review

So I've had my X2 for about 2 months, so I thought I would review it.




The 2 in X2 of course stands for the second processor core that's been added inside here, the Tegra 2 running at 1GHz. As a pair those cores deliver good performance, starting with a quick boot time (it takes about 20 seconds on mine)  and extending all the way through every task you can throw at it in today's Android market. It's definitely a powerhouse, though at first I was hitting a lot of hiccups, in terms of freezing and random restarts.  To solve this i installed what i think to be an essential app, App Killer Pro.  after running this, performance was a lot smoother, with fewer bumps.


the features were all pretty great.  I was very pleased with the GPS.  I was successfully able to navigate myself through Boston using it.  it updates right on time, and locked on to my position within seconds of turning it on.  the wireless is nice, but I would have the occasional problems with it randomly resetting. 
The camera is great, I have yet to have any issues with it, and the features it comes with make it all the better.  making panorama shots are easy and rewarding.  


battery power is good, not great.  before this I had an old Motorola flip phone, so I was spoiled into having a battery life in terms of days, rather than hours.  If you are just using it solely as a phone, maybe checking emails or Facebook every once in a while.,  it will last the entire day .  anything more then that, such as listening to music, playing games, or using the GPS, will probably have you charging it midday.


Its a hefty phone weighing around 150g , but its worth the weight knowing the hardware, and the big 4.3inch LCD touch screen.  its big and sleek and worth the $200 price tag.  However, the lack of LTE connectivity just might be a turnoff. Sure, Verizon hasn't exactly managed to get us locked in coast-to-coast with its flavor of 4G, but enough places are already online to make LTE compatibility a desirable feature. That the X2 doesn't have it has to be seen as a shortcoming.

Still, with the X2 you're getting a slim phone with good battery life and extremely good build quality. For now, it's the best Android handset on Verizon for those who aren't quite ready to commit to the fourth G.


I've just recently started developing for android phones using the Android SDK on Eclipse.  Its fun and easy, and sometime i might put some of my code up.  

  

13 comments:

  1. Wow, this may be better than an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at this ^^
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/450184733-freeshipping-android-phone-HD10-wholesalers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice man, way better than iphone indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. samsung galaxy s2 is better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. contract is running up and I might end up getting this phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks a hell of a lot better then my old env 3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a kick ass phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! I wish I was on verizon, but im on tmobile for another year, I'm using the G2

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thinking about getting myself a new phone... This might very well be it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want one of those!

    ReplyDelete